5 reasons you should invest in a Birth Photographer
By Sami Richardson – Adelaide Birth Photographer
As a Birth Photographer I experience a range of emotions when someone asks me what I do for work. From the excited amazement and a barrage of questions to the confused and a little disgusted look, followed by “do people actually want to photograph that?!”. I enjoy telling people because I literally never know what the response will be! But whatever the response it doesn’t waver my passion because I truly believe that photography should be in the birth place and here is why…
1. To celebrate your power and strength and to support your postnatal journey. Giving birth, however that looks for you, is an incredible feat. You have created and carried your baby for months, you have accomplished your birth and to have these moments to look back on is priceless. These images are also there to keep your oxytocin flowing in the early days, a good birth photographer should be sending you a couple of images across within 48 hours of your birth because they know how powerful they can be for maintaining oxytocin, the love hormone, which in turn encourages attachment, supports breastfeeding and keeps you in your amazing post birth bubble.
2. Birth photography captures your story, when done right, it enables you to visualise what happened, right back to the feeling in the room, your reactions, your emotions, the little details, all there in front of you so you don’t have to try to piece it back together. You then own these memories for life, for future generations, they can be passed down, physically held in your hand and shared with your child, their first moments on the earth.
3. It enables your partner to be completely present in your birth, it gives you both chance to simply enjoy the moment, taking away any pressure on your partner to take photos (or if they are like my husband you try to instruct them on how to take a decent photo with no success!). Birth photography enhances your family connection, with no distractions, you are both able to soak in the moment fully and focus on bonding with your little one.
4. Birth Photography enables you to have someone else in the room for support, encouragement. Hiring a photographer to capture your birth is about connection, if you don’t connect to that person, they are not the right person to have in your birth. A birth photographer should be bringing positive energy to your birth, you should feel comfortable with them, connected, excited for them to be a part of your team. If you hire the right person that connection will be a part of your birth, they will want to support you, encourage you, they will be able to read you and your cues. A birth photographer should know birth, they should understand the physiology of birth, what to expect, how to work alongside midwives, doctors, they should add positively to your birth.
5. Birth is one of the biggest life changing moments of your life but I can guarantee you that your brain will delete sections of your birth. I’ve had mothers come to me saying they didn’t realise they held their baby before he/she went to special care, that’s one of your babies first moments gone, because your brain is trying to protect you. As a nation we hire photographers to capture events which are important to us – what’s more important than the birth of your child?
Birth Photographer – Adelaide